- Find a photo reference of your self. You can print this out from the art room computer or get a picture of yourself saved on your iPad/chrome book. You can also locate a picture at home and bring it into art.
- If you cannot get a photo reference, then use a mirror.
- Begin to sketch your face, using tips you learned in the demo about how to draw realistic proportions. Feel free to use the resources below to aid in drawing realistic faces.
- As you draw your face, focus on good composition (use cropping, tell a story). Also, focus on well crafted details and strong proportion. At this stage, incorporate the realistic details that you see in your face. After capturing some realism, begin to add your own style and creative details.
- As you move onto your final paper, continue to think about expression and creative details within your self portrait. You can alter your appearance, add details, change up your style . You can add details inside of your face such as thoughts, poems, stories, and other images.
- Choose to create your self portrait in either chalk pastel (on white or black paper) or in water color and pen.
- Check out the following examples for inspiration and then begin on your sketch!
Self Portraits done in chalk pastel:
Self Portraits done in Water color and Pen
Famous Self Portraits
How to Draw a Realistic Face